The implications of canine obesity:
It is very common to find owners who underestimate the serious consequences of obesity in their dogs:
– Alteration of the external morphology (that is the aspect that the owners are the most sensitive)
– Decreased alertness. It is easily understood by the additional effort required to undertake any physical activity
– Increased risk pathological
– Weakening of the musculoskeletal system. Overweight predisposes to musculoskeletal disorders, rheumatism, dysplasia, slipped disc, arthritis, osteochondrosis, hyperostosis, by reducing physical activity, which, itself, maintains overweight
– Damage to the digestive system. The obese dog is suffering from slow transit, constipation, flatulence.The detoxifying function of the liver is reduced.
Hepatic and intestinal disorder by excessive fat in the liver appears.She then accompanied often skin disorders like eczema, and sometimes of impaired renal function.Pancreatitis, pancreatic insufficiency can be installed.It should be emphasized here that the risk of diabetes mellitus is increased tenfold in a dog obese
– Achieving the cardiorespiratory. Cardiac fatigue is certainly the best known disorder of pet owners obese. The heart is infiltrated with fat, fatigue and heart is all the greater that are superimposed weight gain and circulatory disorders. The latter are manifested by a decrease in endurance and difficulty to withstand heat
– Achievement of the leading infertility and reproductive problems calving
– A general weakening: increased susceptibility to viral infections, anesthetics during surgery, reduced life expectancy.
Solution and treatment of canine obesity:
Before the dog treat obesity, it is first necessary to achieve a complete clinical examination, with blood and biochemical assessments appropriate to eliminate any medical cause.
In addition, the teacher must know that:
– A dog can not lose weight, that is to say, to be fed less, if the owner is not firmly convinced of the merits of the weight loss, and so much more than the “treatment” is long that the animal is hungry, he is accustomed to a particular frequency and volume to your meals. The stresses on the part of the animal will be many and the master should not “give”.
– Weight loss will be slow (at least 2 or 3 months).
Obesity is easier to prevent than to cure. Indeed, the body resists weight loss, and for three reasons:
– Adipose tissue is a high energy potential when in use (7000 kcal per kg fat).
– A low calorie diet results in decreased thyroid activity and a significant decrease in basal metabolism.
– A low-carb diet and / or high protein decreases the synthesis of brain serotonin, calming of appetite due to decreased blood levels of tryptophan.
Full cooperation is required of the masters, and throughout the treatment. They must be confident and motivated. The idea is, first, to cover not more than 60% of maintenance requirements of the dog if he had an ideal weight, and secondly, to divide the rations into two or three meals a day, both to reduce appetite unsatisfied, and to prevent postprandial hyperinsulinemia, which promotes saving energy.
The objectives of food are:
– Strengthen the protein relative to lipid
– Maintain an adequate food volume by increasing the amount of fiber
– Reduce the proportion of fat to a minimum
– Reduce the starchy (grains)
– Avoid the high glycemic index sugars (sugars “fast”)
The ration is best suited for will therefore consist of one quarter lean meat, for another quarter of lean cottage cheese, and the remaining half of carrots and green vegetables, plus a supplement of essential fatty acids, minerals and vitamins, rate of 4% of body weight of the dog.Wamiz Tip: Your dog needs to lose weight? Discover our range of foods for obese dog.
Should we draw a line under the treats?
A U.S. study reported that among dog owners, 86% of them shared snacks with their pet, and 64% even shared their meals with their pets. Some people have a psychological tendency to share food with others or with their pets.These owners are hopelessly habituated to spoil their pets, must be taken into account in the weight loss program. The nature, volume and the total amount of food rewards and treats should be accurately assessed. According to the dietary restrictions that are needed, we must resort to unusual delicacies, it is surprising that many dogs like carrots, celery, lettuce or even popcorn! Exercise can afford to spend the extra calories provided by the treats.
Food rewards can also be distributed after exercise or a special effort. If possible, part of the normal ration of the animal can be used for this purpose, but if the rewards are not superimposed, they must not compromise the nutritional balance of the plan or increase caloric intake. A reward can be very small, about the size of a raisin, and it is not necessary to provide each time the animal responds correctly.
In fact, a dog will perform intermittently encouraged by longer and more intensely than an animal continually encouraged. When the animal has acquired the desired behaviors, social reinforcements are usually sufficient to maintain them.
Fasting the dog, another solution against obesity:
Fasting can be advocated as a means to treat obesity. The animal was hospitalized and, after ensuring the absence of metabolic or endocrine disorder, he removes all power. Water is available ad libitum.Once reached the desired weight, a food industry is gradually introduced. The animal goes home, but must submit to regular inspections to adjust the amount of food. This method allows a rapid weight loss, but it has risks such as tissue damage and the inability to recover the dog to eat normally.During food restriction, dogs can show behaviors exacerbated as “annoy” their master, be agitated, scavenging, be “irritable.”