There is the fear of dogs and people (relational phobia) in subjects without the company of other puppies and the mother, and also having had contact with the breeder dogs. The lack of social relationships makes them fearful and distrustful towards people they don’t know.
This fear is sometimes the result of a nasty experience, like the shots or the painful joke of a Scamp. Many teachers complain that their dog fears a member of the family, whereas he affectionately behaves with other people. This behavior is apparently not motivated, but in seeking well, we discover that the dog has experienced an unpleasant episode in the presence of the person feared.
The fear of other dogs may also occur as a result of a traumatic event: the attempt of a male bred a female from the first heat can so frighten her she will flee as soon as she will meet another.
The most common behavior in dogs that are afraid of an animal or person is the leak ; they can also hide behind furniture or behind something that protects them. The dog who has not learned to confront a danger will prevent it throughout his life, interposing between him and what scares him a safe distance or a protective barrier.
If this is impossible, he is remaining in a corner, low ears, the tail between the legs, trembling and panting, and he bavera and will advance by crawling, belly to the ground. If it does not have the choice, he Growl and attack. In some cases very dangerous, it can bite directly without having previously growled. This is usually a subject likely to bid which deploys all his repertoire dominated dog in danger.
• Need to identify the cause of the phobia of the dog (is it a man or animal?), and establish a ranking between the people and animals that frighten him more (fear above all men, those in uniform, women, dogs, or other species?).
• Need to schedule sessions, starting with situations that do not scare it to those that trigger fear.
• Before starting a trainingsession, it is advisable to dog relax in taking him to walk in a place not frequented by people or animals, or playing with him. It is important that he knows the meaning of “Sit!” and “Lying!”, orders that allow you to block it in case of exposure to anxiety-provoking stimuli.
• If the dog is afraid of strangers he meets outside, should be held exercises in the Garden: the sit and stand at his side to tranquilliser it when needed. It is shown a person standing at a safe distance (as he stirs not), and when he is accustomed to its presence, we invited him to approach a bit.
The next step is to move the arm to the unknown, and then to get it into the garden and to let him address and petting the dog. The transition from one stage to another should occur when you are certain that your faithful friend shows no sign of fear (it should not fussing, gasping or attempt to flee); If this is the case, it is that you are going too fast.
• If the dog is afraid when a guest he does not know enters the House, the therapy should take place between the domestic walls. During the early stages of training, put the dog in a box placed in a crowded room as well by members of the family that by guests (if the dog is small, a baby park entirely appropriate), to enable him to get used to strangers while feeling protected.
It begins with a friend, that the dog knows, that enter and who sits near him, but must pretend to ignore it. When the animal acquires a degree of self-discipline, is done out of the paddock and asked to sit by his master. Subsequently, brought a stranger in the House, and is done the same way. The master should still Petting his dog and if it jiggles, try tranquilliser it without allowing him to flee.
If the animal is tolerant of the unknown, but does not him approach, can let it go freely in the room; the prompt should not interact, but ignore it and wait for the dog approaches the first. When he is accustomed to the unknown, this last drops a treat near the dog’s paws, then a second (to accept) in approaching more in addition to the animal up to touch and pet him. For the progress of the training, what has been said before is still valid.
• If using the food as a reward for a correct action, let the dog fasting the day preceding each session. If using caresses and compliments, the master and the members of the family must ignore it during the hours preceding exercises because, deprived of the attentions of the persons concerned usually him, it will be obliged to look for them among the guests in overcoming her fear.
• During therapy, should avoid contact with strangers (except those chosen for training) to dog and if this is not possible, it must be said the guests to be indifferent with him (they should not watch it, or touch or speak to him).
• To reduce the fear of its congeners, exercises of training with other dogs that will make office trainers. Before you begin, we recommend to prepare the dog by playing for a while, so that he relax.
It is as for the phobia of people: it is shown at a safe distance (which is reduced gradually) a dog that does not know and it continually caress to reassure. If it is unable to organize sessions such as those which aim to master the fear of people, can bring the animal into places where there are other dogs and approach him its quietest congeners and small size, under the control of their master. To avoid that he fled to the first contact, need to keep it on a leash by encouraging with soft words.
It is important that he socializes with others; If he tries to go, secure it in place and reassure them. Therapy must continue gradually, slowly approaching one of his fellow, and he manifested a particular fear, to continue to talk to him to calm him down, but without allowing him to move away.
When the cowardly dog quietly plays with another dog, remove the leash and walk away so that he confronts him alone. If it behaves correctly, reward him with hugs and treats and continue the therapy by using objects to stimulate.