The car evokes different sensations to the dogs. Some are so enthusiastic that they climb it at every opportunity. others the cordially detest, and try by all means to escape. Travel by car is not part of the natural behaviour of dogs. Therefore, understanding they feel distrust.
It is important to teach the puppy not to be afraid. Indeed, all happy travellers dog owners claim have very early accustomed them to the car, taking in pleasant places (Park, countryside, sea or holidays) and is until they faced ‘unpleasant’ travel (the vet).
Fear of the car may also occur during a traumatic experience as a road accident. Some dogs shake not because they are afraid, but because they are excited at the landscape that scrolls. They may think that more they shake, more images that they see out the window will be interesting.
Another cause of intolerance to the car is unable to control the situation. The dog does not include why the landscape moves so quickly, and originated about this noise. Usually the master to calm him, caress and speaks gently to her, but this attitude, instead of tranquilliser, excites him even more and allows it to continue, precisely because he sees the behavior (that you wish to put an end to) awarded.
The fear of the car can occur in dogs:
-When he sees
-When it starts
-by making specific routes (the road to get to the vet)
-in the view of some people (for example, the pump operator)
Your faithful friend is pissed when he remains locked up all alone in a car: this is not because he is afraid to travel, but is he feels a kind of territorial aggression. A dog that suffers “car trouble” jiggles, drool, vomit, may urinate or defecate. Some eat away the safety belts and seats or bark and howl during the ride.
It is possible to overcome the fear of travel with appropriate therapy, but it is easier to prevent. Do this to adjust the puppy to the car from its first weeks of life (from the third), presenting it as a pleasant thing, for example by playing on the car with him, or with the park or in the countryside, where it can run and have fun. The first few times it takes a dog by car, it is better make it fasted at least 8-10 hours, so that it does not vomiting.
Fear of travel dog, using the technique of systematic desensitization. Were previously trying to individualize the stimulus that causes agitation to then act on it. It cause the dog daily with a series of exercises.
• Show a car at a sufficient distance that he stirs not (in very severe phobia of transport, the view of the car enough to flee). Ask him to sit and stay at his side, quieten it, by gradually reducing the distance that separates it from the car until he could touch her; Let then turn around and sniff the.
• When he will be familiar with the car, with the engine off, open the trunk and use them to get your dog to do it again down immediately after; Repeat the exercise, by interrupting it at the first sign of trouble. Also make the climb into the cockpit, front first, then behind. You can also run a toy on the car and order your dog to take it and bring it back. When it reacts correctly, reward it immediately by a candy or caresses.
• If he fidgets more when he climbs into the stopped car, turn on and repeat the previous years. At first, turn on the engine for a few seconds, then turn it off immediately. When he will be familiar with the new noise, keep it turned on a little more. The first step in the training request more or less time depending on the topic. Be not impatient because, by going too fast, you might mess up everything.
• Once that the dog is accustomed to the car, and he is accustomed to the noise to the ups and downs, it is possible to make the first small trip. Driving a friend and put the dog in the trunk or back seat, ordering him to remain seated and stay near him to reassure him. Gradually lengthen the journey, leaving him alone. If kicking it, admonish not and do not cherish it to calm him, pretend nothing and resume the exercise at a previous stage.
• It is possible to solve the problem of the dog who gets excited at the sight of the landscape that scrolls by preventing him to look out. For small and medium-sized dogs, the solution is to travel in a transport cage closed from all sides (there are plastic and metal in the trade). Big dogs, it is preferable to place them in the trunk or back seat, obscuring the Windows using small curtains.
In France the carriage of domestic animals is regulated by the Highway Code which article 169 ‘Transport people, animals and objects on motor vehicles’ says:
1. In all vehicles, the driver must have the widest freedom of movement in order to carry out the manoeuvres required for the […]
6. In vehicles other than those allowed by art. 38 of the Decree of February 8, 1954, no. 320 (2), it is forbidden to carry more of a domestic animal and conditions constituting an obstacle or a driving hazard.
The transport of pets, even number greater than one, is given to where the animals are placed in cages provided, containers or behind the driver’s seat specifically isolated by a grid or by any other means which, if they are installed permanently, require the permission of the General Directorate of the Ministry of transportation.
In summary, for the transport of a dog, a protective grille is not compulsory as long as the animal does not constitute an obstacle or danger for the conduct; If there are several dogs, it is necessary to put a grid provided to this effect or other similar means and to certify.