The punishment against the aggressive dog, even if it is useful, this disadvantages; without referring to violence against the dog – justified by its aggressiveness – but in fact that man is unable always to win the physical confrontation with the animal and that he runs the risk of being bitten.
In addition, it can increase the emotional tension; dog shall then submit that, on this occasion, to bite as soon as he manages to evade the authority of his master.
The dog that is under the threat of punishment respects usually just someone, rebelling against the other. In these cases, it is better intervene with a mild treatment that will be able, if it is used as early as the early behaviours that can suggest a form of social aggression, to prevent even more difficult to handle situations.
1. Teach the dog to obey as soon as it is small, by teaching them the meaning of “Sit!”, “Down!”, “stay!”, “come!”
2. Act so that no situation triggering social aggression arises during the dressage.
3. Avoid situations that increase the dominance of the dog : the master should, for example, never allow him to sleep on his bed because he feels so important to the point to transgress the orders; and if he allows it to do so, it must also be able to move away it when he wants to. In addition, it should forbid him to stop in places of passage, in front of the doors, in the corridors, because these are places where it could control the facts and actions of the people, and if he wanted to, prevent his master pass, by growling or biting.
4. Prohibit to dog access to the rooms of the House where it behaves violently.
5. Avoid contact with the dog, do not look, do not talk to him, do not pet him, do not give him candy, etc. A master who ignores his dog increases its grip on him because in animals, such an attitude is synonymous with domination. In addition, if the dog gets more usual attention, when it receives them again, it assimilate to a reward.
6. Call it, give it a command, for example “sit!”, and pet him: if he does not comply, will need to ignore it (by doing so, the master takes over the initiative).
7. Reward that the attitudes of submission, by punishing the dominant behaviors.
8. All members of the family must adopt a homogeneous and coherent. If the dog shows a greater aggressiveness against a friend or a family member, that person and only that for a couple of weeks will give him to eat and her witness marks of affection, but only when the dog has complied with an order, ‘Sit!’ for example. All other members of the family will avoid it.
9. In particularly serious situations, it is possible to use the muzzle, which makes the dog less dangerous and more secure master him.
10. It is also possible to use drugs (under veterinary supervision) that calm the aggressive subject.
As the dog becomes controllable, it is put in situations that trigger his aggressiveness, but gradual (systematic desensitization) and the tranquilizer with a treat.
If the dog is a male, it may be useful to associate the behavioural treatment to castration (after consultation with the veterinarian), because by blocking the secretion of testosterone, reduces the aggressiveness.
Never face the problem of social aggression in a superficial way, because you can control it but never eradicate it. Do not hesitate to ask for help of a behavioral .